Thursday, September 14, 2017

What I Think About: Flip Phones

I'm thinking about buying a flip phone sometime soon.

I'm guessing that, at most, my current phone has about three good months left before it goes to Apple heaven. I'm not buying the new iPhone X, but I just might buy an old Samsung flip phone instead. I'd have to purchase an iPod to handle all the essentials - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat etc., or buy a separate iPhone. It would be used for casual conversations with my family and friends, but the Samsung - that would be used strictly for business.

When you think of the quintessential businessman, you see the $2,000 Armani suit, the $22,000 Rolex watch, the $800 Testoni's, and most importantly, the $20 Samsung, the cherry on top, the icing on the cake. In all seriousness, hanging up the phone on a smartphone really doesn't capture the essence of ending an important business call. Picture this: A scruffy man in a brown suit, leaning against the wall of the local convenience store. He's hustling to make a sale, and in a rough, untactful voice says, "That's my final offer, now you can take it or leave it!". He then proceeds to end the call, frustrated and unnerved. What type of phone do you think he's using? That's right, a basic smartphone. He fumbles snatches it away from his sticky, stubbly, sweaty cheek and fumbles around with it until he finds the ever-so-elusive red button that ends the phone call. By that point, the harsh effect is gone, and he knows he has failed.

Now once again, open your imagination and picture this: The perfect businessman in his tailored suit, strutting down the street, beaming, and giving off a hint of Calvin Klein's "Intense Euphoria". He expertly negotiates a deal, and comes to his closer as he gracefully says, "That's all I can offer, call me back if you're serious". Maintaining his composure, he removes the phone from his ear and snaps the phone down with a "pop", placing it into his pocket and continuing down the street without a break in stride. That, in my opinion, is the definition of class.

The smartphone is flashy, hip, current, and youthful, yes. But true beauty and elegance comes along with simplicity. There are times when the iPhone is the appropriate tool to use in social settings, which happens to be most of the time. But there are a select few moments in time when the flip phone is the perfect tool to use. I just want to be prepared for those moments. And if the only time I get to use it is when I'm wearing my suit and walking down a busy street, so be it. At least I'll be prepared.




In all honesty I just want to play that old snake game that had the colored balls you had to eat. I tried finding it on the App Store but I guess people have just forgotten about it. That was my childhood.

5 comments:

  1. look up "snake retro" lol
    (mr mitchell don't count this comment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant and something I hadn't thought about. You're absolutely right. Sure the sleekness of the iPhone offers increased accessibility and general aesthetic ease as you're swiping along the apps, but there's no substance to it, no physicality. Personally, though, if you plan on becoming a businessman with a flip phone, I'd try finding a special kinda flip phone, because the narrow frame and curved edges make them feel kinda childish. I'd like to know, what is your opinion on those phones that slide out? Also, I think, if you want to achieve maximum effect, you should find a cellphone that looks like a landline so you can slam it down at the end of angry business calls, but that's just me. I should hope that you don't expect to be angry THAT much as a businessman either. If you have a pleasant call, for instance, wouldn't it be nicer to simply slide the phone in your pocket as the other person hangs up. Then, it's as if the call never really ended, because, unlike with the flip phone, there was no physical conclusion to it. So the memory of the pleasant call lingers. You've given me a lot to think about good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a good point here, that I've never thought to articulate before: the whole potential drama of "hanging up on" someone at the end of a phone call--whether to decisively seal a business deal, or to sign off in anger or frustration--is lost in the smart-phone era. (Just as a phone "ringing" rarely happens anymore--although some people have those retro telephone-sounding ringtones.) I never had a flip phone myself--I was always behind the cell phone trend, kind of a luddite, and I went straight from those fat, round, heavy phones to my current iPhone 5 (I think; I'm not even sure which iPhone I have). But you're right: a flip phone allows you to *hang up* at the end of a call in a way that smart phones do not.

    It's as if all doors were to suddenly become automatic sliding doors--we'd no longer be able to express our emotions by slamming the door behind us when we leave a room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a brief couple of months I also used to be obsessed with the idea of a flip phone. It was way less distracting then a smartphone, and I actually prefer talking to people over phone than over text. However, I realized how expensive it was to actually deal with all the sim card stuff and having different carrier plans. I appreciate the simplicity of the flip phone. It has a phone, calendar, camera, alarm, and contact book, snd if you're lucky a good game you can sink time into. At the same time though, I can't imagine having to open up your laptop or access a computer so you can check your email and respond to them in an effective manner. The smartphone puts everything into your pocket, which is why I don't think I'll ever stop using it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this post, and I do agree with you that hanging up with a flip phone is much more satisfying than doing so with a smart phone. However, you have to really know what you're doing, so that you can easily flip it closed with a slick wrist motion rather than a clunky two-handed flip. Anyway, I really enjoyed your writing style, and I thought the ending was a funny way to wrap up your pro-flip phone argument.

    ReplyDelete